SC - Protectorate Feast 3 - Menu

Thu Sep 14 07:27:59 PDT 2000

For the Protectorate Feast, I'm going for verisimilitude rather than
absolute accuracy.  The site, while it has a decent kitchen, is an hour from
my home and 15 miles from the nearest (decent) market.  To keep the costs
down, I'm taking advantage of the livestock kills which are occurring from
the extremely hot weather.

The menu has been completed.  The original recipes are now in the booklet
I'm using for the feast token.  As I finish my adaptations of the recipes,
they will be added.

Our Kingdom Chronicler has butchered the event announcements and the
information about the feast has not been published.  I'll put the menu and
the feast information on Ansteorra Announce which will circulate my
announcement across the mail lists maintained on the Ansteorran server.
Hopefully, I'll get responses before the people arrive at the gate.

On to the menu and the sources.  The marmalade is actually an orange
preserve.  I have some reservations about the authenticity of the whiting
recipe, but I'm giving Brears the benefit of the doubt.  And I can't locate
the citation for the original source of the shrewsbery cakes.

Bear

The Menu

Jumbles - Markham

Manchet - Markham

Marmalade - A Closet for Ladies and Gentlewomen

The First Course

Filet of Chicken in Orange Sauce - Good Huswives Handmaid

Filet of Whiting in Apple and Wine Sauce - Pynson edition of The Boke of
Cookery via Brears

Sweet Spinach Tarte - Markham

Sweet Potatoes - Fettiplace

The Second Course

Roast Beef - Markham

Rice Pudding - Markham

Boiled Peas - Murrell, A Booke of cookerie

The Final Course

Shrewsbury Cakes - ?