SC - beef vs veal in recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 14 23:38:55 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 15 Sep 00,, that Serian wrote:

> the topic of veal in Medieval recipes came up.  One part of
> the discussion was that beef might reasonably be used in
> place of veal since in Period it would have been more common
> and reasonable to kill the calf than the full grown cow.  A
> counter to that is that in the same cookery book there are
> recipes for both beef and veal.

The recipes I've seen that give a substitute for veal suggest kid, lamb, or
mutton.  This may be because of similarity in taste, or because of
health concerns.  Platina says that veal is healthier than beef.  Lobera
de Avila in his health manual, cites all kinds of medical authorities, such
as Avicenna, to prove that beef is a very unhealthy meat.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net