SC - Another Sausage recipe

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 08:45:11 PDT 2000

I took some time to work on another sausage recipe. This one is a fresh
bratwurst from Sabina Weserlin's Cookbook.

Here is the original and my redaction. I enjoyed the herbs and expect that as
the sausage ages, it will improve all the  more.

25 If you would make good bratwurst

Take four pounds of pork and four pounds of beef and chop it finely.
After that mix with it two pounds of bacon and chop it together and
pour approximately one quart of water on it. Also add salt and pepper
thereto, however you like to eat it, or if you would like to have
some good herbs, you could take some sage and some marjoram, then you
have good bratwurst.

Redacted Recipe

2lbs pork shoulder butt or hams
2 lbs  beef shank, deboned and connective tissue removed
 or
1 more lb beef shank  and 1 lbs lean ground beef  (I didn’t have enough at
the time of trial)
1 lbs bacon

2 cups cold water

.5 TBSP Cure all curing salt (if smoking afterward*),  regular salt otherwise
1 TBSP ground black pepper
2 tsp dried marjoram
2 TBSP dried sage

Grind meat and mix well. Mix herbs and spices in a separate bowl, then add to
the meat. Mix in the water and blend well. Fill casings.

Cooking- Grill, boil or fry sausage if not smoking.

*I am inclined to believe that if all of the sausage was not going to be
eaten immediatley, that it would have been hung to smoke, thus preserving it
further. I have not smoked this sausage yet, but it is a consideration.

Hauviette