SC - RE: Sausage Recipes

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Mon Sep 18 06:21:01 PDT 2000

> <niccolo) Last question:  Will you use hot or cold smoke when you
> smoke these?

<<<<<<(Hauviette)Thanks. So far they have been hot smoked as it is not my smoker and I have to find alternatives if I want it done another way. Any suggestions? >>>>>>

The best suggestion I have is to do what is easiest for you.  I, too, am mostly hot smoking using my gas grill as my smoker.  It doesn't go down to 220F without major engineering, but I haven't given up.  My long term plans are to build a smallish smoke House "Closet".  A place to set up to smoke larger quantities of meat in cold smoke for a couple days.  I have to wait till I get a house, though.

In the mean time, I use the left burner on my grill, a pan of water, wood chips, and prop the lid at various heights until I get about 250F to 300F, or as low as I can get it to go.  They still end up cooking in the smoke, but I get more of the smoking effects and flavors.  The literature I read says stay close as possible to 220F.

niccolo