SC - food bashing

Ron Rispoli rispoli at gte.net
Tue Sep 19 21:47:52 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <CorwynWdwd at aol.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2000 11:06 PM
Subject: Re: SC - food bashing

> In a message dated 9/19/2000 4:11:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> baronsig at peganet.com writes:
>
> > Sieggy, who draws the line at grits, though
>
> You just haven't tried good grits, that white hominy stuff'll kill you.
> There's a water powered mill up the road from me that grinds them from the
> whole grain <yum!>
>
> Boil them up (I make mine thicker than you get in the restaurants) lots of
> butter and crisp bacon, maybe some eggs over easy. My arteries are
hardening
> already.
>
> Corwyn

Well, since this is turning into a food confessional--- I love grits ( no
sugar please ) but call it polenta.  I make a batch, have some hot for
breakfast, the rest goes into a loaf pan to set.  as the week passes I'll
cut a slice and use it as a side dish, as a base for fried eggs or sauted
veggies.
Greens with ham hock and crushed red pepper flakes--aka rappini--mmm mmm
good.  When I first came in contact with Southern American cuisine I was
surprised how close it was to the Italian food I grew up with.
BTW, I would like to thank the list since joining I havn't had any trouble
with ideas for my local newsletter.