SC - Re: SC dried squid

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Sep 19 22:56:05 PDT 2000

At 8:17 PM -0700 9/19/00, lilinah at EARTHLINK.NET wrote:

>The Near East is not just one big expanse of well-stocked
>sophisticated urban environment. There are plenty of harsh dry
>environments, too, with limited availability of foodstuffs. I
>realize i have no documentation, I can only argue that it is
>possible.

I've just been reading two books (_God's Banquet_, which is about
food in classical Arabic literature, and a book on life under the
Abbasids, with a chapter on food) that have lots of period references
to food. One thing that is pretty clear is that the bedouin were
regarded as eating primitive and gross things--one of the more common
insults is that they ate lizards. I don't remember any references to
dried meat, however.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/