Odd and Interesting foods (was Re: SC - food bashing)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Sep 20 09:54:51 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> You mean there are people who put things in tea? How interesting!
> (Envisions people dropping metric tons of Coffee-Mate into perfect
> Japanese green tea, or Iron Goddess of Mercy, or gunpowder tea, or pu
> erh, or lok uon or... .) But I agree, what I've been exposed to suggests
> that putting cream in tea is fairly irregular in the whole five o'clock
> tea ethos. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that American
> commercially produced milks are sometimes rather lower in fat than their
> European counterparts.

I dunno about lower fat milks- anyone from Canada on the list have an
opinion on that? (Now there's a straight line...)

It is my understanding that the Brits put milk in black tea- the
standard sort of stuff. I don't know of anyone who would put it into
green tea or an herbal. *yeeech!* I specifically put milk in to offset
the tannic acid. And to accomplish that, it really has to have a little
fat in it- 2% at minimum, but whole milk is better. One thing you'd
never want to do is but the 'calcium-added' milk into tea- that added
calcium is calcium carbonate, AKA chalk, and it binds with the tannin
and sinks to the bottom, leaving a layer of red-brown chalk that is very
difficult to get out of the cup.

The time that I had tea at the Empress in Victoria (ohmigod- nearly 20
years ago) they had both milk and cream on the table. I've always been a
tea drinker and didn't blink, but the other American kids I was with
were very confused. They just don't _do_ tea in teh States much, at five
o'clock or any other time.

Craving a mug of Irish Breakfast now, (Twinings, of course)

'Lainie