SC - Murri flavor

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 20 21:01:52 PDT 2000

KallipygosRed at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/20/00 7:08:58 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> LrdRas at aol.com writes:
>
> > I would say
> >  that the flavor is as different from soy sauce as Worcestershire sauce is
> >  different from fish sauce, if that makes any sense......
> Yes. It does. Could it have meant that it was of the same consistency, or
> coloring, as Soy sauce. Perhaps made in the same fashion as, or having a
> salty taste with an undertone you don't catch until the back of the palate?
>
> Lars

Non-Byzantine murri [Persian murri?] seems to have been made in a
process functionally, almost identical to soy sauce, through the
controlled decay (using a mold culture) of cooked grains (modern soy
sauce is almost always made from both wheat and soy, murri was made
mostly from barley, IIRC) which are then infused in brine. I believe
murri may then have herbs added to flavor it, or maybe I'm wrong and I'm
thinking of Byzantine murri, which is made according to an entirely
different process already described by Ras.

Charles Perry, a translator of the recipes for both types, IIRC, was the
one who originally decided murri proper (not Byzantine murri) oughtta be
like soy sauce since it was made in a similar way from similar
ingredients. However, that's no reason to assume Byzantine murri would
taste the same. On the other hand, since there's a fairly broad range of
different flavors associated with different types of soy sauce,
including some which aren't made in an especially traditional manner,
maybe a perceived dissimilarity between the two types of murri doesn't
make either one less viable as murri.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy