SC - Sweet Spinach Tart

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 22 03:40:30 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Ari asked:
> > Let me guess....coffin = crust?
>
> Yes, because of the shape. In period pies were typically long rectangles
> like coffins. :-) I'm not sure if the name was first used for pie crust
> shapes or for boxes to bury folks in. OED, anyone?
>
> The shape was due to the fact that most pies were not baked in a
> container such as today. The crust was the container. We have debated
> before whether the crust was actually eaten or was only a container
> and was thrown away (or given to the poor or workers) or whether it
> was eaten. If the coffin is only made with flour and water, ie: no
> butter or oil, you might not want to eat it.

Coffins meant for eating might also have been made with flour and egg
yolks; it doesn't provide the texture we most commonly associate with
pie crust, but the yolks do provide (approximately) sufficient
shortening. Whether it really provides sufficient structural support for
a free-standing pie with straight sides is debatable and probably
depends on technique.

Which brings us to shape. Stefan, you're partly right, but I think
"coffin" is simply a box of whatever shape needed to do the job;
contemporary pictures seem to suggest pies were often round, kind of
like a hat box with a slightly domed lid.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com