SC - rare foods at feasts-rant

Fri Sep 22 08:35:41 PDT 2000

I would say how a feast is structured is at the discretion of the stewards
and the custom of the Kingdom.

In about 25 years in Ansteorra, I have been involved with events having no
food, having a dayboard, having independent taverns, with and without feast,
with the feast included in the site fee, with the feast as a seperate fee,
with pre-paid reservations, with reservations, and buy at the gate.

In my opinion, the independent tavern makes a lot of sense.  It provides
basic food for a price and doesn't add to the participant cost of the event,
unless the participant decides to take advantage of it.  I also like
seperate feast for similar reasons.  I would prefer pre-paid reservations,
but that is not the custom of the Kingdom, so I make do with reservations.
Ansteorrans tend to be frugal and we tend to choose the options which are
most comfortable on the pocketbook.

AS to how well it works, I currently have just under 100 seats of a 128 seat
feast filled, so I am not overly concerned about my budgetary break-even.

Bear