SC - Definitions and Examples: Period, Peri-oid and OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Sep 23 20:30:47 PDT 2000

Lady Celia des L'archier said:
> The faire Mistress said:
> > As you say, there were many things that were done in the early years
> > that have gone by the wayside as accepted practices.  You have nailed it
> > on the head about the better research, due in large part to the advent of
> > the internet.
>
> I had actually recognized this when first looking for research.  When I
> first joined the SCA (around 1980-1981) and planned my first feast (around
> 1982), I was able to find only a few books on medieval cookery,
>
> Now I am so flooded with references to what seem
> to be translations of primary sources which appear to be generally
> recognized by everyone that I'm salivating for the money to buy some ;-)

You might want to glance at some of the bibliographies and cookbook files
in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium before you buy any more
period cookbooks. While some are quite good, some you need to be careful
of, such as the Fabulous Feasts book you mentioned. While the text information
is good, the recipes seem to have little or no documentation to back
them up
and in the worst case, many of them seem to be fabrications of the author.

cookbooks-bib     (32K)  4/21/97    Cookbook bibliography by Jaelle of Armida.
cookbooks2-bib    (14K) 10/ 3/97    Cookbook bibliography by Stephen Bloch.
cookbooks3-bib    (20K) 10/14/98    Cookbook bibliography by Lady Allison.
books-food-msg    (69K)  5/25/00    Books about food. Not cookbooks.
cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.

> > The timeline did change, and where it used to have an early cut-off, it
> > now says 'pre-17th Century', but it also says in some other part that we
> > are focused on Western Europe.  So, folks will argue that the early stuff
> > is OOP, but only if you can't creatively justify how you would have wound
> > up at a European Court.  I know folks that think that anything after 1450
> > is no longer the Middle Ages, and folks that think that Cavalier lace is
> > still appropriate.  Whachagonnado?
>
> Wow!  So I might get away with some of the recipes out of my Appian Way
> (Classical Latin) cook book?  cool <beg>

Perhaps, but I, personally, would class that as Classical Roman cookery
and not medieval cooking. How about some Roman recipes that were used in
early medieval Europe? In this case, Apicius. There are several different
translations available, all with different pros and cons. For some of the
comments said about them, check this file:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (37K)  4/20/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.

My appologies if I've recommended an overwhelming amount of different
files from the Florilegium lately. Perhaps you can print off these messages
for future use or simply keep the Florilegium in mind for future browsing.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net