SC - pie and bread pans

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 22:51:13 PDT 2000

- --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> Chris Stanifer wrote:
> >
> > --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
> > > Yes, these are very general comments to which
> > > exceptions can probably
> > > always be found. Pompeii is however not in the
> > > medieval time period.
> > > While it existed then, I doubt there was too
> much
> > > bread making going
> > > on.
> >
> > Stefan,
> > Why do you doubt there was too much bread making
> going
> > on in Pompeii during the Middle Ages?
>
> I really need to read these threads more carefully;
> I've obviously
> missed something. I assume (and someone please
> correct me if I'm wrong)
> that Stefan felt that there wasn't much baking going
> on in Pompeii in
> the Middle Ages because Pompeii was destroyed in 79
> C.E. and, AFAIK,
> never rebuilt.

Ah, CRAP!  Sometimes I let my fingers move faster than
my brain.... Of course, Master A, you are correct....
The Bakers of Pompeii were, alas, far removed from the
scheme of things by the time the Middle Ages rolled
around.  Far too much work, and far too little time
for reasonable thought on my part, I believe.

As for the bakers rings, I can't imagine any other
reason to have them except for as a symbol of pride
and solidarity...Therefore I, and several other
culinary historians (theorists?) have assumed they
were members of a rudimentary Guild...

Balthazar of Blackmoor