SC - Re:was sweet spinach tart now Roman bread shape

Sun Sep 24 10:33:46 PDT 2000

Having seen one of the loaves which had been excavated, the shape is too
even not to have been formed without a mold, probably surrounded by a cake
ring (but I have to admit, I haven't seen evidence as to how the mold was
used).  The shape has a central circle surrounded by trapezoidal segments
similar to the area between the spokes of a wheel.

Whether separate balls of dough or a single ball of dough were used is an
open question, but the use of separate balls of dough would make the bread
easier to divide.

Bear