SC - Rotisserie and Cormary

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Sep 26 08:37:49 PDT 2000

My friend Sara and I set out to try some period recipes this weekend. We
were working from the recipes translated in _The Medeival Kitchen_ with
the authors notes and redactionsmostly treated as notes.
One of the dishes we wanted to try was Carmary, Loin of pork marinated in
Red Wine. Sara just got a rotisserie oven, and we looked at one another
and said, "Roast on a Spit! This should work!" So we got a 3lb bone-in
pork loin, marinated it, put it in the rotisserie, and according to the
directions, cooked it for an hour and 20 minutes. It wasn't done: we ended
up cutting it into slices and broiling the slices.
Two questions:
1) Is a rotisserie a good thing to try to approximate spit-roasting?
2) Did it just need more time (it was getting pretty crunchy on the
outside) or should we assume pork doesn't work well in (this particular)
rotisserie?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."