SC - Definitions and Examples: Period, Peri-oid and OOP

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Sep 26 11:01:45 PDT 2000

>>> Jenne Heise<jenne at tulgey.browser.net> 9/26/00 12:55:24 PM >>>
However, when someone says a particular food is or is not period, the
average person will understand them to say, "this food was not served in
period'.
Which is going to lead to confusion among those who are not using the
specific shorthand usage of the cooks' list.

Am I making sense yet?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I believe I understand your assertion.  It appears you are saying that the rahter specified usage we are claiming and using could cause potential misundestanding to those who chose a very broad usage of the term "period".  I believe this previous statement to be correct.

My personally chosen goal is to encourage artisan/scholars in my region to begin using the more exacting language to describe assertions they are claiming.  Saying somethiong is "period" is sort of lazy shorthand for a scholar, and I offer suggestions to them (and me) to be more descriptive of what we are trying to say.  I strive for accuracy rather than broad generalizing statements that are decidedly simpler to digest; sure I consider my audience in all of this.  I want what people have learned to be meaningful in the communications of it.  that needs precision and description rather than vagueries or general terms.  If we can keep having the conversation about the food we love and use these exacting standards of communications, then more food people will eventually grow to share our culture. (or look at us as Food Geeks or both)

Now, if someone is a "light" scholar who less driven to learn and pass on specific information about their arts/crafts/fields of knowledge, then broad brush strokes are more to their liking.  This list does not generally hold those types of discussions for very long before they get rather specific and the cry of "Recipe Please!" or "Reference Please" goes up.  That is when the really good stuff starts happening because we are all challenged to compare our personal rather Scared Beliefs against actual reference to see if what we have is stronger or weaker than what the other has, and make decisions and changes appropriately.