SC - Re: Expecting historical Foods

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Sep 26 20:26:46 PDT 2000

I am sorry that you ran into such a thing, and I have to say that I have
also seen things that made me say "hmmm" over the years.  However, there
have long been many good cooks concerned with serving authentic,
researched foods here in Meridies, and so the standard depends on where
you tend to eat, I suppose.  There are some cooks whose meals I try not
to miss, and others, well, I pick and choose.
Christianna

> Six or eight years ago, I attended an event in Meridies at which the
> highly  advertised dish in the feast was a meat pie, purported to be
period.
>  It was  sloppy joe, or beef barbecue, with cinnamon and raisins added,
in a
> pie  shell.  Tomato-based sauce and all.  At the same feast were served

> crudites  (fresh veggies and dip) and a fish chowder with corn and
potatoes.
> Most of  the food was quite edible (the meat pie was very odd, but
still
> edible), but  not period.  That was the first time I had ever eaten a
feast
> outside the East Kingdom, and I suddenly understood why the East has a
> reputation for period feasts.  From what Niccolo says, it sounds as if
the standard is going up.   This is a good thing!