SC - period mashed foods

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 11:28:52 PDT 2000

For mashed foods, what would they have used in a
period kitchen?
A mortar and pestle? Or was there something like our
potato masher?
I'm thinking of something used to mash foods not
something to crush
or grind spices.

Hi,
When we were in germany, I got to go to alot of
museums. One of them had a section on cooking
implements. One of these that I remember was a big
wooden verticle mallet type thingy(excuse the
technical terms here :) that was either flat or
slightly curved on one end. The curved ones were used
in bowls like a mortar and pestle, and the flat ones
were used on flat surfaces, supposedly to mash foods.
I'm not sure of the dates, it's been several years, so
they may or may  not have been period. But it was
interesting to say the least.
Nisha