SC - Re: SC- feast options was rant

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:03:34 PDT 2000

>Question to the experienced feastcrats out there...
>     Since the feast fee is now seperate, what is your experience with
>budgetting the meals which are advertised in the flyer as "included"
>(breakfasts, lunches, dayboards?)

First canton I cooked for (not my own) has a tradition of providing hot
water and instant coffee, instant cocoa, instant soup, tea bags, and usually
a woman who must go home to tend her animals brings sacks of bagels and
boxes of grocery store donuts when she returns the next morning. This is
budgeted out of their event fee--but they also put out a 'tips' jar for
those so inclined. I planned for leftover pies, biskets, cheese and meats to
be put out also and in fact, my co-cook and I got up and used extra bread
dough and pie filling to make apple dumplings for ourselves, the autocrat,
our spouses and other early-birds.

When I cooked for my canton, someone brought a coffee pot. ground coffee,
sugar and a quart of non-dairy creamer.  No other plans were made by the
canton and the overnight food storage facilities sucked, so I made no plans
either.

At the last WH baronial investiture, I made quite an effort (with the cooks
blessing) to be certain there was enough good bread as the baron-to-be was
bothered by there never being bread after the obligatory bread/cheese filler
tray at the beginning of feast. I got donated bread from two different
bakeries and also made manchets from frozen bread dough so that there would
be a bread for each course.  But, she forgot to send out one of them.  Next
morning, I took a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs and offered to make french
toast.  I was turned down, but later two knights spotted the ingredients and
were inspired and no one stopped them from making lots of french toast!
Coffee was on offer, and there was leftover butter and honey.

Bonne