Limonia Re: SC - Tredura [Hashed Leeks] in re substituions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 28 09:47:02 PDT 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> b) The chicken came out with pink around the bones, but everyone said it
> was done. I'm not much of a chicken fan (I'll eat it but there's only a
> few dishes I usually cook with chicken in, and all of them involve
> boneless breast. What did I do wrong?

Very possibly, nothing. Recommended cooking temps are often based on
some specific potential pathogen or parasite which can get into the
meat. In the case of chicken, the big fear is salmonella, which is
killed at 157 degrees F. Recommended internal temp for "cooked" chickens
is 160-165 degrees, and you can still get some pinkness at that
temperature, especially in the thighs. I suggest you get one of those
five-dollar instant-read thermometers and worry less about the color.
But I agree, I'm a bit turned off by rare chicken.

There was a fad in New York restaurants some ten years ago for certified
salmonella-free, free-range chickens, cooked rare. A fad which, I'm glad
to report, went the way of all flesh, quickly. Now rare duck breast, on
the other hand, is another story.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy