SC - new to list

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 13:54:33 PDT 2000

> > I am amazed at how quickly, what about 5 years?, a man's name has
> > become a girl's name, thanks to Walt Disney Corp. Ariel is a Hebrew
> > masculine name, and has been for millennia, meaning "lion of god". An
> > odd name for a mermaid.
>For
>that matter, what about all the female Ashleys, Sidneys, and my all-time
>favorites, all the occupational surnames used as girls' names. Carter,
>Tailor, Sawyer, etc.
>
>Adamantius, who wants a daughter so he can name her Butcher, but whose
>lady wife, for some reason, objects
>--
>Phil & Susan Troy

My lord husband, from Colchester, Essex, chuckles over the many American
girls named after a somewhat dingy train station--the President's daughter
among them.   I told him it's a baby boomer thing, some song about Chelsea.

Bonne
(one of my daughters is named after Ludwig Bemelman's famous orpheline,
though I didn't have the presence of mind to call the children's section of
the library and confirm the spelling, so got that wrong.)