SC - OOP::::: Basil oil

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 28 14:16:31 PDT 2000

Phillipa wrote:
>Since it is going to freeze tonight in my neck of the woods, I want to bring
>in all the basil still left on the plant, mince it up and stick it in a
>bottle of olive oil.
>
>After I do this, do I have to keep the oilve oil in the frige?  Will the
>basil go bad if it just sits in the oil on the shelf in my pantry?

The leaves must be scrupulously dried after they are washed, because
if there's water on them when they go into the bottle they might
spoil.

But other than that i don't think you will have any problems. Just
keep the oil in a cool dark place, because since olive oil is a
mono-unsaturate it will harden in the fridge.

Anahita al-shazhiyya