SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Sep 1 09:52:47 PDT 2000

> The equipment is whatever portable cooking equipment can be easily
>rented. My guess is that that includes stovetops using bottled gas, ovens
>ditto, and microwaves.
> The staff is as few as possible, given what you are trying to do. Say two
>cooks and an assistant?
> No breakfast, just lunch and dinner.
> For example:
> Lunch: 1. (V) Ember Day Tart, Losyns 2. Cold Sage Chicken, Bread 3. Stwed
>Mutton on a trencher
> Dinner: 1: Fylettes in Galantine, Caboges, Cryspes, Bread 2: Lange Wortys
>de Chare, Cretonnée of New Peas, Losynge Fries 3.(V) Makke, Rapes in
>Potage [or Carrots or Parsnips], Bread, Lente Frytoures
> Always available: Gingerbrede, water, ...?
> This may be a wider range of alternatives than you need, and you probably
>want to allow some mix and match rather than having three alternative
>mens. Mostly I was looking for low labor things that i thought many people
>would like. They are all in the Miscellany, all from the 13th-15th c.
>English/French cuisine.
> What about a name for the establishment? Does anyone know if there were
>named cookshops in period?--
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/

O.K., but please add a rotisserie, and one of those grills with the rods
that turn the meat slowly, and a cashier, and a large fridge to your list.

All meals are to include the option of bread, preferably a round crusty 1/4
lb. loaf per serving.  This may need to be contracted out to a local bakery.
Have fresh soft Pretzels and mustard sauce available for each lunch.
Also, roast small chickens, whole or half, should be available each day for
lunch and dinner on the rotisserie. (The smell of baking bread & roasting
chickens is wonderful for drawing customers.)
Menu items below are in addition to these. These are intended to be ala
carte menus.

> Always available: Gingerbrede, water, ...?
Yes.

Put all the appropriate day's scraps in the stock pot & make broth for the
next day. Perre (pea soup) is optional, depending on the weather.

Depending whether the chickens come with their entrails or not, you can add
Garbage to the menu daily, but call it 'chaudwyn'. If you have a blender
available you could also make Black Sauce for capouns y-rostyde. Or you
could throw them in the stock pot.

(LM = Le Menagier, FoC = Forme of Cury, Viv = The Vivendier, all other
named recipes are from the Harleian MSS)

Day 1
Lunch - grilled sausages (LM), Pikkyll pour le Mallard (fried spiced
onions), Cryspels (fried noodle dough with honey sauce - FoC)
Dinner - roast pork with mustard sauce, Sauce gauncile (garlic sauce) for
the chickens, Caboges (if you insist), applade ryalle (applesauce - can be
made ahead & canned)

Day 2
Lunch - Pome-Garnez (pork meatballs) on skewers, Lange Wortes de Pesoun
(peas with herbs and onions), Cryspels
Dinner - Fylettes in Galantine, Guissell (bread stuffing),  Black porray
with bacon (LM), chardewardon (pear sauce - can be made ahead & canned),
fresh fruit

Day 3
Lunch - grilled sausages, white porray (leeks - LM), Cryspels
Dinner - Breast of Mutton in Sauce (roast lamb with verjuice sauce),
Savoury Rice (LM), Buttered Wortes, chardewardon, fresh fruit

Day 4
Lunch - Pome-Garnez, Loseyns (noodles with cheese - FoC), Black porray with
bacon
Dinner - roast pork with mammenye bastarde sauce, applade ryalle, Sauce
Alepeuere (vinegar & garlic sauce) for the chicken, Black porray with
bacon,fresh fruit

Day 5
Lunch - grilled sausages,  Pikkyll pour le Mallard, Cryspels
Dinner - Bukenade, Savoury rice, Funges (mushrooms with leeks - FoC), fresh
fruit

Day 6
Lunch - Pome-Garnez, Macrows (another noodles & cheese - FoC), For to make
groden Benes (beans with bacon - FoC)
Dinner - beef y-stwyd, Savoury rice, Buttered Wortes, baked apples or pears

Day 7
Lunch - grilled sausages, Makke (ground beans with onions - FoC), Cryspels
Dinner - egredouncye (sweet & sour pork), Vermiseaux de cecille (vermicelli
cooked in broth, served with cheese - Viv), Black porray with bacon, fresh
fruit

Howzzat?

Cindy/Sincgiefu