SC - Aack--can't find a recipe I saved...help, please

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 2 21:28:34 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Hi, everybody.  I'm hoping someone saved this recipe in an
> easier-to-find place than I did, and will be willing to send it to
> me....I know I put it somewhere, but sure can't find it, and it's
> driving me nuts.
> I'm looking for a chicken recipe that showed up on the list earlier this
> year--a norse? icelandic? recipe.  I'm not talking about the
> chicken/sage/bacon/dough one from the _Miscellany_, but rather about one
> that had this lovely vague recipe wherein you could take chicken spiced
> with cinnamon and either wrap it in dough and bake it, or dip it in a
> batter and fry it....I've finally bought the chicken to give it a go,
> and can't find my recipe, and I've looked in the Florithingie, and in my
> saved file.....aaarrgggghhhh......
> --Thanks in Advance, Maire

If your description is accurate, and it hasn't been heavily tweaked
post-primary source, I don't think it's in either the Danish
Harpestraeng MS, as translated by Rudolf Grewe, or in the 1931 edition
of its Icelandic descendant, reprinted by HG Cariadoc.

Apart from the aforementioned chicken-in-a-rock, the only candidate I
can think of is Blomaeth Høns.

"RECIPE 21 -- (BLOMAETH HØNS)

One should take chickens and scald them and tear them apart and cut all
the meat from the bone and shred it small. Then boil the bones and take
off the broth and wind the meat around the bones. Sprinkle some powder
of cinnamon on it and then place it in a dough that is made of wheat
flour and a beaten egg and then cook it in butter or lard. It is called
'blomaeth høns'."

Could that be it?

Adamantius
- --