SC - Re: Castelvetro

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Sat Sep 2 22:38:33 PDT 2000

Subject: Re: SC - Castelvetro & salads (long)

John,
I know I'm being a bit ignorant here, but can you tell me a bit about
this individual?  I really liked what he had to say about salads, and
would probably go online to see if someone can scare up a copy of the
book for me...if it's a period source!  Kiri

The author is Giacomo Castelvetro, and the translation I'm reading is by
Gillian Riley.  The full title is "The Fruit, Herbs & Vegetables of
Italy.  An Offering to Lucy, Countess of Bedford," and is dated 1614.
Castelvetro was born in 1546.  His support for the Reformation led to
him being smuggled to a sympathetic uncle, who led him on a tour of
France, Switzerland, and Italy. The uncle was a vegetarian and Giacomo
developed an appreciation for simple vegetable dishes.  After his uncle
died, he eventually wound up in England where he received the patronage
of Sir Walter Raleigh and then went to Edinburgh to be the Italian tutor
to James VI.  However, he finally fell on hard times and wrote and
dedicated this book to Lucy, the sister of one of his former pupils,
hoping for patronage (she was broke too and couldn't give him anything).
He died in poverty in 1616.

He breaks down the year into seasons, discussing the vegetables, fruits
and herbs, with simple recipes and frequent digressions {such as the
salad dissertation already noted}.  As another example, he laments the
weedy status of asparagus in London and dedicates 1-1/2 pages to
explaining how it should properly be grown and harvested {also pointing
out that the landowners in Verona had given up growing flax and wheat
because they could make 3 times as much money growing asparagus to sell
to Venice}.

The book is 176 pages and contains a number of color illustrations.
Riley also adds about 10 pages of glossary and notes.  It was published
in 1989 by Viking Penguin in London, ISBN # 0-670-82724X.  I got the one
I'm reading via ILL from UNC-Charlotte.  I haven't looked for a personal
copy yet, but if the price is reasonable, I intend to buy it.

I hope this answers your question Kiri!

John