SC - Fw: [CALONTIR] Bread

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Sep 4 13:20:46 PDT 2000

"J Cowan" <domnaill60 at HOTMAIL.COM> said:
> I am taking a class in Early European Civ at school, Pittsburg State
> here in Bois D'Arc, and keep coming across the fact that through the
> cultures in ancient through modern times that bread and cereal grain
> products were one of the basic parts of everyones diet. I was wondering
> if anyone could give me some feed back on how I might use this in a
> paper for the class. Anyone know of any books on the subject that
> could be used?

_English Bread and Yeast Cookery_ by Elizabeth David has a lot of
historical background in it.

_Food and Drink in Britain_ by C Anne Wilson has a chapter on bread,
cakes, and pastry.

The Northumberland Household Book (c. 1512) has a whole section on
what everyone ate for breakfast, from the Earl and his family down to the
stable boys.  The one constant was bread.  The Earl and the Countess
got 2 loaves of the finest white bread, accompanied by more bread
sliced into trenchers, plus wine, and fish or meat, according to the
season.  The gentlemen ushers got coarser "household" bread, beer,
and boiled beef or salt fish.  The stable boys got household bread and
beer.

HTH

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)