SC - Refrying fritters

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 00:03:37 PDT 2000

I don't do a lot of deep-fat frying, so I'm not sure
how to
adjust my oil temp. to allow for a slightly longer
cooking time

What my mom would do to test the oil for frying hush
puppies was use a cube of bread about the size of the
hush puppies she wanted to make. It takes about the
same amonunt of time to brown a cube of bread as it
does a small fritter (or hush puppies)It's a pretty
good guide line. It needs to bubble immediately, or
your fritters will be greasy. If the temp is too low
they get really grease soaked and heavy. Another
thing, use peanut oil for frying if using a vegetable
oil. Stuff doesn't burn as fast because it has a
higher smoke/burn temp. I hate deep frying unless I
have a fryer. (I've worked food service before) Its
such a mess to clean up. I love to cook, but boy do I
hate to clean. HEHE Isn't that most of us? Those are
my suggestions. Good luck.
Nisha