SC - Fw: [CALONTIR] Bread

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Wed Sep 6 19:10:26 PDT 2000

OK, I've been looking at this a bit, and while we've gotten some really good
answers and references, I haven't seen this thought process happen, so I'll
send this along- perhaps, Domnall, this will help.

One of the things I've learned from SCA-Cooks is that, despite all the
Biblical (and other) references to bread, we have about three bread recipes
from our period, and none of them have come from bakers, but rather from
commentaters. The reason given for this has been that the Baker's Guilds had
a monopoly on the substance, and would not give out the recipes upon Pain of
Expulsion.

If bread was an important substance to the Medieval Populace as a whole, and
since it is a fairly complicated item to manufacture, the very fact of its
being monopolized is a serious indicator of its importance to Med life.

Further, the fact that it was used in many waus, such as in trenchers, and
as crumbs for thickening, as well as delineated as being served in various
qualities to different levels of society points up its importance. And, you
might make something of the Jews, who were an active presence in the MA
using unleavened bread, ie matzos as an important part of their religious
observances.

Domnall, does this help any?

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous