SC - Boorish Table Manners in London-OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 6 19:25:35 PDT 2000

KallipygosRed at aol.com wrote:

> >From the New York Times, today:
<snip>
> ONDON, Sept. 3 — They do it harmlessly in Wodehouse, and horribly
> in Waugh. But behaving badly while eating well is more than a
> literary tradition in England,

In defense of people like Bertie Wooster, it should be noted that the
culinary boorishness portrayed in the fiction of P.G. Wodehouse is
limited, for the most part, to the throwing of bread and rolls between
consenting adults [???] in the dining room at a private club, and for
the most part these same characters would never dream of doing any of
the things discussed in the article in private, let alone in a public
restaurant. Their lunacy, while profound, tends to take different forms.

"I once won a fiver off Oofy Prosser when he betted me Catsmeat
Potter-Pirbright could not hit the game pie from the far window six
times with six consecutive rolls."

or

"It was the day of the annual Darts Tournament at the Drones, and I knew
there was apt to be a good deal of bread thrown about."

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com