SC - Re: SC: Use of Medicinal Leeches

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Sep 7 09:09:52 PDT 2000

    Actually, leeches are remarkably good at draining pooled blood from
bruises. (which is all a bruise is - subcutaneous blood left from ruptured
blood vessels) When I did Tae Kwon Do, our teacher had a jar of leeches that
he used on us whenever we got sloppy and got nailed a good one. I've used
them for reducing the bruises caused by SCA combat as well. They'll remove
most of the discoloration, swelling, and tenderness, not to mention being
really good sautéed in olive oil with basil & garlic. (obligatory food
content) I've been thinking about taking some to Gulf Wars next year, 'cause
I always seem to pick up some nasty bruises there.
    And don't laugh about bleeding people - it's still done on a regular
basis. I know 2 people with a disorder where they produce too much blood,
and it gets thick to a point that it places a serious strain on the heart,
trying to pump it. They have to be bled at least twice a year or they could
have real life threatening problems.

    Sieggy