SC - TI article?

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Sep 10 06:32:48 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/9/2000 10:30:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

<< However, I don't think
 what you describes belongs in a TI.  It doesn't even sound nourishing or what
 people going into a serious physical activity should be eating! >>

Personally, I think it is a sound example of a way to feed an army cheaply
and easily.  Admittedly the food is not period, but nor are we talking all
Twinkies and such.  When you read the article, you will see that they are
talking about primarily using things like chicken noodle soup mix, raw
veggies and fruit, sausage and cheese biscuits, pickles, a variety of drinks
including sekanjabin, and other good things.  They include jerky when they
can afford it.  The Twinkies and such are there as an extra sparkle.  The
primary objectives are food that is readily available, can be kept safely for
several days under camping conditions, quickly prepared, and quickly and
easily eaten, all the while being tempting enough to divert a fighter long
enough to consume it.
I'm sure we could come up with period foods that would fit most of those
criteria fairly easily - but are those foods going to be tempting enough to a
busy fighter to stop fighting long enough to eat?  Some of the fighters, yes,
who are familiar with and enjoy period foods.  But those who are less
familiar may well decide to give it a miss if they don't recognize it, unless
their buddies come over munching and saying "Wow, this is good!  You gotta go
get some!"
I have some folks who I can tell "I have cold Pie of Parys" and they'll come
running, others who can be persuaded to try it, and others who seem convinced
that the proper food for fighters is cheese cubes, bread and butter, and
orange wedges, and won't take anything else.  But Pie of Parys needs to be
kept cold on site, and isn't the cheapest thing to make.

Does the article belong in a TI?  Well, I'm divided.  Certainly it is a valid
and successful effort to combat the fact that many fighters forget to eat
during the day.  Certainly, having a way to address this need is a valid
concern in our SCA lives.  Certainly it is information that many in the SCA
can use, and an option that many of them may not have thought of, but may now
go out and try.  All of these things are of benefit to the Society.  But it
doesn't reflect period practice.  Nor do a good many articles in TI.  I would
instantly reject it for Compleat Anachronist, but I think it does have some
place in TI.

Brangwayna Morgan