SC - Manual de mujeres #109,111,132,134,135

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Sep 10 18:53:15 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 9 Sep 00,, that david friedman wrote:

> At 2:47 PM -0700 9/5/00, Dana Huffman wrote:
>
> >132 Receta para empanadas de membrillos
> >Recipe for quice turnovers
[snip]

> This one looks interesting. Questions (I unfortunately do not know
> Spanish):
>
> Do you have anything about what empanadas/turnovers were--what kind
> of dough and what kind of physical construction?

There are some indications in other cookbooks.  Nola has a couple of
empanada recipes.  The one for baked meat/fish empanadas has no
crust instructionsm except to put a vent hole on top.  The recipe that
follows, for fried sugar empanadas says "take dough made from flour and
knead it with good eggs and sweet fine oil".

Granado (1599) has a number of empanada recipes.  The first one in the
meat section has instructions for the dough.  It's made of sifted flour
kneaded with cold water, eggs, and salt, and a little lard.  The only
indication of construction is that the empanada should be wider on the
bottom.  It is glazed (for the sake of color) with beaten eggs or water
tinted with saffron.  The first empanada recipe in the fish section says
that the crust is to be made in the same way, except that in place of
the eggs one should use wine of the Membrilla (quince-bud, according
to my dictionary), and oil in place of the lard.  And if one wants to color
the crust, use saffron-tinted water.

> "And when they are white/blancos"... I find it hard to believe that
> quinces cooked in honey-water will turn white--I would expect a
> slowly darkening tan to brown, like applesauce/apple butter. Is there a
> similar word in Spanish that means soft?

blando.

> >134 Receta para cazuela de arroz
> >Recipe for rice casserole
> >      Put in a casserole/saucepan rice and grated cheese,
> >that is very good, and salt; and stir it very well.  And
> >then put with it the broth that seems to you sufficient,
> >the broth being of fat[ty] beef.  And put on top the beef
> >that you want, and cook it in the oven.  And when it is
> >almost cooked, remove it and put on top of all slices of
> >fresh cheese, and egg yolks and spices.  And then return it
> >to the oven and finish cooking.  And when it is cooked,
> >make plates or bowls of them, which[ever] you prefer.
>
> I'm wondering about the spices to be put on top. Any guesses from
> other recipes in this book or from related recipes in other Spanish
> sources what they are likely to be?

Nola puts cinnamon and sugar on rice cooked in meat broth (then
again, Nola puts cinnamon and sugar on nearly everything.)  Granado
has a similar recipe for rice with broth, cheese and eggs (though he has
the eggs beaten and stirred into the rice).  He suggests pepper,
cinnamon, and saffron.   If you want to serve it simplly, without the eggs
to congeal the dish, you can put only cheese, sugar, cinnamon, and a
little of the broth on top.

> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)