SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 11 06:47:03 PDT 2000

Hullo, the list!

Lest we lose track of whether we're trying to merely criticize the
article in question or to conceive of an acceptably helpful _and_ period
fighter support kitchen, what would people serve?

Things that come to my mind immediately; people should only add to this:

Pickled vegetables - prepped in advance, no onsite work, open the jar
and go, high in electrolytes
Breads - maybe something with malted barley mixed in for faster carb rush
Honey - for the bread, see above, and would encourage the dehydrated to
drink fluids to get their
	tongues unstuck.
Fruit cheeses - a reasonable excuse to introduce a sugar source far
better for you than Twinkies
Smoked sausages - longish shelf life, high in protein and electrolytes
Cheeses - ditto protein & electrolytes
Dried beef for the jerky holdouts; there's a period Mongolian recipe in
"A Soup for the Qan" - ditto p &e
Any of several pottages
Beverages - Sekanjabin, jalabs, small ales and meads, and a plethora of others

There's more stuff that would involve more work, but this is a
reasonable foundation, I think. None of the above would require much in
the way of special, long-term refrigeration.

As for the question of whether the fighters will eat it, there probably
is a percentage who simply don't like (or think they don't like) period
food, which is where most of the above comes in, as period foods that
have survived perfectly well into this century. Beyond that, personal
prejudices and addictions can be dealt with over time, as they are
usually dealt with.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy