SC - Ingredient Search...

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 18:19:15 PDT 2000

I am in serious need of some information.  I am
cooking that Oriental
feast weekend after next (9/23) and am in need of
several ingredients
which I cannot seem to locate.  I hope some one of you
will know where
can find them:

    Apricot kernel paste
    Tsaoko Cardamom (large black cardamom pods)
    Mei (described as salted, pickled white Chinese
plum)
    Chestnuts

If you don't know any source for the apricot kernel
paste, do you know
of a reasonable substitute?

Apricot kernels, I believe are also known as bitter
almonds. You might try looking for them under that
name. (at least that's what I was told when I asked
what bitter almonds were)

The black cardomom you should be able to find a good
oriental , idian or middle eastern grocery store.
The plums I have no idea

I dont think chestnuts are quite in season yet, but
you might be able to find chestnut puree or canned
ones as a substitute, depending on what you want them
for.

Good luck in your search.
Nisha