SC - fruit leather/cheese recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 12 00:17:34 PDT 2000

> Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:
> > troy at asan.com writes:
> > << Fruit cheeses - a reasonable excuse to introduce a sugar source >>
> >
> > What in the known world is a "fruit cheese"???
>
> A fruit cheese is fruit cooked to a thick paste; usually, but not
> always, with sugar added. This gets molded into a cake or loaf shape,
> and, when cooled, can be sliced like a cheese, eaten with bread, etc,
> and keeps a long time because of the comparative lack of water, high
> sugar and fruit acid concentrations. A good example would be cotignac or
> quidony, made of quinces, but they can be made from just about any fruit
> that you can make fruit leather from. Period marmalades also generally
> fall into this category.
>
> Adamantius

Ok, I wasn't at first classing the fruit cheese/leather as marmalades
because I was thinking marmalades were thinner, but on thinking about
it, that is probably more of a modern definition.

So, for recipes and more info on marmalades, check this file in the
FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
marmalades-msg    (53K) 12/20/99    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams

Or since "marmalade" initially only applies to quinces, this file in
the FOOD-FRUITS section:
fruit-quinces-msg (29K)  2/ 3/00    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net