SC - Pies

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Sep 12 23:39:19 PDT 2000

Morgan Cain wrote:

> I meant in terms of shape, not filling.  Most period pies, at least in the
> recipes I have seen, have a "coffyn" of some type and do not indicate the
> turnover-style of pastry used in a pasty.  Of course, I've been a bit
> focused of late (strawberry pie A&S entry in the works).

It may not say so in the recipes that we have in our current corpus,
however, there are period illustrations showing folks eating what look
for all the world like Hostess Fruit Pies. My favorite is on a French
ivory, late 14th c., and it shows the fellow with the pie in his hand,
with a bite out of it, and his mouth is obviously full...

'Lainie