SC - Was: Period cooking? - Now: Foodie Movies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 14 19:50:56 PDT 2000

"Browning, Susan W." wrote:

> I know we covered this before, but what are the lists favorite food movies?
>
> Eleanor

Okay, what do we got, here...

In no particular order:

_Classics_
Big Night
Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
Tampopo
Babette's Feast
Lenny Henry's series, "Chef!"

_Necessary Peripherals_
Ruggles of Red Gap
the two hours of the "Jeeves and Wooster" BBC series regarding the chef,
Anatole,the Universal
	Hunger Strike and the Midnight Raid on the Larder (they got this actor
that _really_ looks like
	Escoffier)
the kitchen duel in Richard Lester's "Royal Flash", still one of my
favorite swordfights
not to mention the picnic scene in, I believe, the same director's "The
Four Musketters"
anything made by Hal Roach concerning pies

_Movies I haven't seen so can't classify_
Like Water for Chocolate
A Chef in Love

There was an American TV series for a year or so in the late eighties
set in an upscale New York City restaurant, does anybody remember the
name of that? Loosely based on the demise of the Warner le Roy
restaurant Maxwell's Plum, one of the city's ancient and venerable
pickup bars and fairly mediocre food purveyors, and apparently a setting
itself for the novel, "The Happy Hooker". Maxwell's Plum had hired a
chef from (I think) Seattle, named (I think) Cathy Casey, who attempted
to put this ancient establishment on the map as a temple of haute
cuisine, and all she succeeded in doing was creating the triangular
hamburger and coating all her dishes with inedible, but inert, plastic
confetti. She did something obscene with salmon, too, but I forget what
it was. Anyway, this series was more or less an entertaining fictional
account, leaving out the part about bankruptcy.

Adamantius, who feels a chef should be an artist, but not Salvador Dali
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com