SC - Renaissance Recipes by Riley?

kylie walker kyliewalker at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 15 00:04:14 PDT 2000

A few years back I bought a copy of Renaissance Recipes by Gillian Riley
(part of a Painter & Food series published by Pomegranate Artbooks, San
Fran.)

It wasn't until after I bought it that I discovered the bit where she says
"I have translated their recipes and done what was needed to present them in
an accessible form for today's enthusastic cooks ..."! However, the pictures
remain useful - and recently I tried one of the recipes out. It turned out
very well, so I am curious as to what resemblence, if any, if bears to the
original (probably not - of this particular source, she says coming up with
a recipe required "something of an imaginative leap").

The recipe, for "almond cookies", is apparently based on writings of Sister
Maria Vittoria della Verde (originally Portia della Verde), from 1583
onwards. (Apparently all the sources are in the bibliography - but for the
life of me I can't figure out which one it is ...)

Anyone read this? Any comments?

Kylie