[mk-cooks] Re: SC - Sausage Recipes

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Fri Sep 15 12:06:39 PDT 2000

Cariadoc asked a good question:

>Is it possible that this is intended as something like the little
>chinese sausages--not really a foodstuff but a condiment? They are
>very good in lots of things--but too strongly flavored to make a
>meal of.

I don't know that we can say. It would be a possibility worth
exploring, to be honest. I've looked through the manuscript
(Mallinkcrodt & Milham) and not been able to determine any
size suggestions for the intestine or even an animal suggestion
for the intestine that would indicate a size to the final
product. There also aren't any recipes in those manuscripts
that I've been able to find that indicate the sausage was
served, as you suggest it might be, as a condiment. Perhaps
going a bit further back and a mite forward would reward us
with clearer suggestions on these things.

Another possibility suggested was the idea of lead poisoning
affecting the taste buds and resulting in a saltier sausage for
the area in which this product was most highly prized. I am
doubtful of the validity of such a suggestions, but it too bears
further research. Hauviette and I are stumbling around in the
dark with regards to the *why* of the saltiness. Thank you
for this suggestion for further research.

Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at ptc.com or iasmin at home.com