SC - A Spanish Menu

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Sep 15 20:02:55 PDT 2000

I found a website which listed a day's menu for a 16th century Spanish
bishop.  The address is http://www.jimena.com/cocina/

Here it is, in the original Spanish and a quick translation.

MUESTRARIO DE LA MESA DEL ARZOBISPO - 1568

Lunes, 9 de febrero de 1568.
Monday, February 9, 1568

COMIDA: comen Su señoría y 4 caballeros.
Dinner: eaten by His Lordship and 4 gentlemen

- - Pan vino y naranjas dulces
Bread, wine, and sweet oranges

- - 2 gallinas asadas.
2 roast hens

- - 6 perdices asadas.
6 roast partridges

- - Costrada de medio cabrito (5 huevos en yemas, manteca y especias).
Pastry of half a kid goat (5 egg yolks, fat, and spices)

- - Jabalí asado.
Roast wild boar

- - Albondigas apedreadas de carnero con 8 huevos en yemas.
"stone" mutton meatballs with 8 egg yolks [the verb apedrear means to
throw or pelt with stones.  I would guess these meatballs are shaped
like stones]

- - Carnero cocido, 2 libras.
Boiled mutton, 2 pounds

- - Nabos en tocino.
Turnips in bacon

- - Puerco cocido, 2 libras.
Boiled pork, 2 pounds

- - Peros, 4 libras.
Apples, 4 pounds ["pero" is a specific variety of apple]

- - 2 cardos.
2 cardoons

- - Aceitunas y queso, 50 nueces.
olives and cheese, 50 walnuts

CENA: comieron Su señoría y 2 caballeros
Supper: eaten by His Lordship and 2 gentlemen

- - Entrada contada.
Uncommon entree

- - 3 perdices asadas.
3 roasted partridges

- - 1 conejo.
1 rabbit

- - 3 gazapos.
3 young rabbits

- - Cabezuelas de cabritos asadas.
Small heads of roast kid goats

- - Torta de queso.
Cheese pie

- - 6 huevos.
6 eggs

- - Postres contados.
Uncommon desserts

The thing I find the most interesting is the mention of sweet oranges.
Until this, the earliest mention I'd seen for them in Spain was 1607.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net