SC - Selene's fish feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 18 23:55:13 PDT 2000

Mistress Selene said:
> I think I may celebrate by organizing that Fish Feast I've been threatening to
> do for years.  Oh aye, nobody will eat fish at a SCA feast, but how about one
> just for us seafood lovers?

Used to that 'Mistress' part yet, Selene? I imagine it is kind of like
getting used to answering to Mrs. <whatever> right after you get
married. :-)

Anyway, Congratulations!

I encourage you to go ahead with your fish or seafood feast. I've had
very little of either at SCA feasts. I think the last was a shrimp and
rice dish (I remember mixing it up in an ice chest, over ten years ago).
In those days, we farmed out various dishes to various folks to cook the
day/night before the feast. And the ice chest was the only thing we had
available that was large enough.  We didn't cook it there. We just mixed
it there. Probably wouldn't do it that way now, though...

You may already be aware of them, but here are the files in the
Florilegium that I think might be of use to you in this:
Under FEASTS:
feasts-fish-msg   (11K)  8/21/00    Serving fish at SCA feasts.
fish-feast-art     (6K)  3/29/00    Details and recipes for a mid-Lent
                                       "fish feast" by Rudd Rayfield.

Under FOOD:
fish-msg         (109K)  5/26/00    Medieval fish dishes. Fish in the SCA.
salmon-msg        (41K)  5/26/00    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
seafood-msg       (65K)  9/ 6/00    Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
stockfish-msg     (81K)  5/26/00    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked
and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net