SC - Selene's fish feast

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Sep 20 12:53:13 PDT 2000

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Hmmm.  Just how often do you find SCA people [Catholic or otherwise] who acknowlege
> period Lenten customs in their SCA menu planning? Fortunately, our Coronation
> scheduling misses it completely so major feast planning is not a problem here.
> Although I remember one time, Caid was hosting a Board of Directors meeting in early
> Spring, smack in the middle of Lent of course.  Why a nice J.A.P. like me was
> concerned about Lent, I'll never know, trying to stay authentic for Medieval Europe
> I suppose.  What I wound up doing was having a 'saintly' calligrapher write up a
> pretty indulgance as a centerpiece, then served the originally scheduled menu.

I co-cratted an event once that we deliberately held the weekend before
Mardi Gras so we could seriously feast. But I know of no-one who has
presented a banquet of Lenten fare during Lent. Mostly they ignore the
issue, with the excuse that most Americans seem to have a thing about
eating fish. But considering how important Lent and Lenten customs were
to the lives of Medieval Europeans, I am always surprised at what short
shrift we give them... (but then I have an alternate in the closet who
is a Dominican...)

'Lainie