SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2618

Vincent Cuenca bootkiller at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 08:51:17 PDT 2000

>Thank you.  But... just for the sake of my curiosity, which edition are
>you working with?
The same one as you.  1929, Dionisio Perez, reprint of the 1529.  I've just
been posting without checking my sources, which is inexcusable.  I are
edjumacated; I should know better. I apologize.

  Of course,
> > Argentines are weird, anyway.  :)
>
>Ahem.  Watch your language, sirrah.  I've got some cousins down there.

And I've got cousins in Colombia.  I guess I shouldn't go into why
Argentines look up during thunderstorms, then? ;)

> > Vicente
> > (once we get the whole "electuary" vs "butter" thing sorted out, I'll
>post
> > the recipe.  Really, Olwen, I promise.)
>
>If you'll show her yours, I'll show her mine.  ;-)
>
>I look forward to seeing yours, just because I'm very curious how similar
>or different it is from mine.
Here it is:

An Electuary of Sour Cherries for Invalids who Have Lost the Desire to Eat

Take as many sour cherries as you wish and put them in a pot on the fire and
add just enough water, and let them cook in this water until they become
very tender and appear to be white; and then throw out the water in which
they have cooked; and then take a coarse sieve of bristles, which you can
strain them with and rub them with your hands until they have all passed
through.  Then take for each pound of these sour cherries, prepared in this
way, half a pound of sugar and mix it in its pot over a low fire; stirring
constantly with a piece of cane until it is cooked; and then take it off and
put this electuary in a glazed jar with a good cover; you can add some
cloves and a little cinnamon to it.

>  On the other hand, my ankles are not particularly
>worthy of showing off.  :-)

No doubt your husband would beg to differ!

Vicente