To eat or not to eat (was: Re: SC - rare foods at feasts-rant)

Isha ArrowHawk ArianneShadowWalker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 22 12:17:48 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Catherine Deville <catdeville at mindspring.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: SC - rare foods at feasts-rant

> > The problem is that many folks have
> > somehow come to feel that they should be fed at an event. This is
absurd.
> > Should they expect to participate in any part of the event they want to
> > regardless of qualification? No. If they don;t like what is being
served,
> the
> > solution is simple...they feed themselves and remain off board.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> With this point I would respectfully disagree with you mi'Lord.  They
> *paid* to be fed.  In my experience a considerable amount of the event
> budget goes towards the feast with the intent that all the participants
> will be fed.  They didn't "pay" for the fighting or any other activity in
> the event, those are all run as volunteer efforts but they paid for the
> site and they paid for the feast, therefore they are entitled, IMO, to
> both.

IMO, if I go to an event, (which I never have, btw), unless I am strictly
invited to join in something, I will most likely keep out of the way and
very small.  Usually, the people are close-knit, and most know each other.
I end up feeling a bit lost if I go somewhere and don't know anybody.  Being
shy is a drawback..worse since I love people.  I dream of meeting 'royalty'
one of these days, but I would most likely make a fool of myself.  I know it
isn't true of all groups, but some seem to congregate together, and an
outsider is just that...looking in.  *shrugs*