SC - on-board / off-board

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sat Sep 23 21:42:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/22/2000 2:09:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

<< As for our cooks guild here in Bright Hills, we know certain folks have
food
 concerns and we "build in" to our menus a limited number of alternate foods.
   If we know for certain we are having special guests from afar, we do our
 best to seek out information on the subject before-hand. >>

I'm not sure if you are doing the same things I am, but what I do is simply
choose the menu from the beginning with a variety of foods, so that no more
than a quarter of all recipes contain the same ingredient (fewer if the
number of dishes is less than, say, 12).  That way, all are guaranteed to be
able to eat at least 3/4 of the dishes served - and considering that many
people choose not to eat more than that because they don't like the
ingredient, I think that is reasonable.  By using this method, I have been
able to accomodate mushroom allergy, citrus allergy, onion/garlic allergy,
wheat allergy, and alcohol/sulfite allergy in the same feast without having
to offer alternate dishes for each, or make small portions leaving out or
substituting the offending ingredient.  I've tried the special small portion
method as well, and found that it simply doesn't work for me; it is too
mind-boggling to try to keep track of all the special dishes and get them
done and to the right people.

Brangwayna Morgan