SC - parchment source (OT)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 23:21:31 PDT 2000

> >Actually the parchment that the scribes use just
> happens to be the
> >best stuff.

The parchment Scribes use should have no connection to
the silicon treated papers we use today for baking.

I had previously known that scrape
> parchment was used
> >for such things as glues both in period and now.

The parchment used in calligraphy and bookbinding (in
period) is little more than scraped animal hide.
There is a good deal of gelatin in animal
hide...gelatine makes a decent glue...

> >But I do think that it is a bit expensive to use
> instead of parchment
> >paper in baking. :-)  I wonder if it would even
> work there.

Yep...it would work.  It would act as a buffer between
the pan and the food being cooked... it would make
cleanup a breeze...it would put the cook out of
business...but it would work.

Balthazar of Blackmoor