SC - Definitions and Examples: Period, Peri-oid and OOP

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon Sep 25 13:55:49 PDT 2000

>  I have not remembered a claim on this list specifically that roast beef
>is not period.  I have several references from Platina and Scully that
>suggest plain roasted beef was difficult on the body and needed proper
>cooking (boiling) and spicing (often mustard) to make eat digestable and
>nourishing to the body.  I do not have any reference to directly
>controvert these assertions; assumptions and suppositions do not provide
>strong evidence in debate of historical accuracies.

But in the case of a food that can be documented as having been served in
period (for instance, if a cookbook gives a recipe for a sauce for roast
turkey, we know that the dish 'roast turkey' existed with the same
likelyhood that the sauce did), we are not working with suppositions. When
foods are mentioned in texts and so farth, we know that they existed. When
the existence of a food can be be documented to period.. the rule of this
list that a food is not period unless it is redacted from a recipe from
the time period produces as classh between the definition of period as
everyone other than cooks use it in the SCA and this special definition.

Which is why people really should, as nicoolo says, not use the term
period as shorthand for 'that which we have  pre-17th cenutry recipe for".

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain
And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again."