SC - Removes and Feastocrat

alysk at ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 25 14:56:51 PDT 2000

Olwen wrote:

>We use the term 'remove' around here.  Seems to fit better.  I do agree that
>'feast-o-crat' is a little silly.

"Remove" doesn't fit, though.  You aren't "removing" anything, which is what
a "remove" is.  It _is_ a real, food-related term, but 100 years post-period,
which is why a number of us object to it.  It NEVER referred to a "course".  A
"remove" was a single dish of a multiple-dish course which, when served, was
physically _removed_ from the table and replaced by a second dish.  You will
see this in period table setting pictures... It may say something like "A Pottage,
for a Remove Wesphalia Ham & Chickens".

If "remove" is accepted as being "medieval" (which is patently is not), then there
sould be no problem with "feastocrat" or other -crat words which are also patently
non-period.

Alys Katharine, on her hobby horse of "Remove 'Remove'!  Of course it's 'course'!"