SC - period turkey info and recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 26 00:31:46 PDT 2000

niccolo difrancesco asked:
> In the interest of knowing from where this item hails, can you give reference, or is it example for the exercise of the debate.  I'd love to add reference in my library of turkeys pre-1600 being served roasted or boiled or poached or massaged lovingly with lavender oil or whatever.  Also, if there information as to exactly what animal is being given the label "turkey" in the given time and place?  This can and did change at times and places.

Recently on this list someone said there were no or few period recipes
for turkey. Lo and behold, this stirred up a lot of discussion on this
list and a great amount info, including recipes burst forth.

Some of this can now be found in this file in the FOOD section of my
ever-growing files:
turkeys-msg       (34K)  7/20/00    Use of turkeys in Rennaissance Europe.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net