SC - Re: Lenten Feasts

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Tue Sep 26 06:13:34 PDT 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Karen O wrote:
>     Lainie replied:
>     Gotta find the docs,  (re working my file cabinets has them lost!!)  but
> "Feasts" as joyous occasions didn't happen during Lent,  or they happened on
> Sunday  when the penitents were allowed to celebrate.  (that's my
> understaning)   So,  we aren't neccessarily disrespecting Lenten customs for
> our Feasting,  they just happen on "Sunday"  ;*)
>>> Laura C. Minnick<lcm at efn.org> 9/25/00 2:05:18 AM >>>
I need to clarify myself again. *SIGH* There were saints' days that fell during Lent. What they did on them, I don't know at the moment (and the books are In The Basement). The feasting or not feasting was not my point. The fact that by and large our choices of foodstuffs for a Lenten meal are grossly inappropriate *was* my point. And Sunday or no, flesh or dairy products were RIGHT OUT. <<<SNIP>>>I think it his is sad, because Lent and Lenten fare had a great impact on Western European lives- heck, they whined and complained IN WRITING about the fish (especially the herring).   . . . . . . .   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Feast and Fast" I think would be a good resource for those interested in fast day traditions.  In that book, I believe there is a passage that mentions the belief that Sundays were observed as feast days regardless of season.  Those who were in good standing and had taken communion/penance were allowed indulgence on those days.  Additionally, plenary indulgences were somewhat easy to come by for those of means . . . enabling foregoing fast restrictions at other times.  These include certain Saints' feast days and specific 'recipes' for indulgences on those days.

Fasting came at more than just Lent.  See Second Vatican Council to see most recent modern adaptations of fasting cannon.  What is observed in the Western Catholic Church today is vastly different than was done in Medieval Europe.  What I know of Eastern Orthodoxy leads me to believe they have maintained more of the Old World traditions over time.  Fasting traditions are rich with variety and insight into the atmosphere of devout Christianity of the time.  It's more than just Lent, and more than just no meat or flesh.  It is fun to learn the fluid and dynamic nature of these practices.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco