SC - Re: Master of the Hall?

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Sep 26 23:14:34 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Lainie said:
> > Well, I have used the title Marshal of the Hall-
>
> Yuck. Sounds like the person is supposed to enforce the rules for
> a food fight.

:) Only because combat is the only context most of us are used to
hearing the title of marshal. Historically, that is a proper title for
the person responsible for the servers and for _where_ people of varying
ranks sat, and in what order they proceeded into the hall. Given that,
_diplomacy_ was used far more than enforcing 'rules'.

When we served a feast together (she as "Bob" as marshal of the hall, me
as kitchen steward) it worked well. The menu, buying of food, cooking of
the meal, kitchen staff, and the territory of the kitchen were all mine.
I handed the food on the serving dishes to her (him) and the servers.
The table settings, servers, the organizing of the procession into the
hall (with some precedence), the announcing of the courses before each
one, and the hall space were all "Bob's". Neither of us were the event
autocrat.

Not that we never have food fights, civilized or otherwise, in the
Summits.

> > It is my impression that groups vary and some roles overlap. Some places
> > the hall duties might fall to the autocrat (know _there's_ a title I'd
> > like to ease out!)

How about:

Host
Majordomo
Castellan
That dreary eyed, over-caffinated, under-appreciated, moving blur going
that way...

> Locally, that term is getting replaced by "event steward" more and
> more.

Nice. Does it get abbreviated to 'steward' often?

Seumas
- --
Roi ne suis prince, ni duc, ni comte aussi; je suis sire de
Bruyerecourt.